A first aid kit is critical for every household when an accident occurs. Each kit should be easy to access and in a common area. Standard kits contain items that treat most minor injuries, different types of burns or at least assist in preparing an injured person for transport to a medical facility. Standard kits should include the following:
1. DISPOSABLE GLOVES To minimize the spread of infection, approach any wound with sterile disposable gloves.
2. ALCOHOL-FREE CLEANSING WIPES It is important to clean a wound immediately to decrease the chance of an infection. To avoid the sting, wipes must be alcohol-free and should be used to remove any dirt or other particles from the area before applying a dressing.
3. ANTI-SEPTIC CREAM For open wounds, add a trusted anti-septic ointment to your first aid kit as the first line of defense against infection.
4. BAND-AIDS Keep a variety pack of adhesive bandages in your first aid kit to cover any small to medium size wounds you may experience. 5. BANDAGES & DRESSING For larger wounds, you may find that adding a roll of sterile dressing and gauze is exactly what you need to cover the affected area.
6. SMALL SCISSORS When working with rolls of bandages and gauze, you will be happy you added scissors into your first aid kit. Depending on the wound’s location, you may need to cut away any clothing that gets in the way of dressing the wound properly.
7. SAFETY PINS Including a pack of safety pins in your first aid kit can help keep dressings and bandages in place.
8. EYE WASH & EYE PADS Including eyewash in your kit can help flush unwanted contaminants from your eye while simultaneously cleaning the area. After washing you may want to cover the eye with a few sterile eye pads to protect it before seeking medical attention.
9. TWEEZERS Tweezers can be used to remove bee stingers or other debris from wounds.
10. THE RIGHT CONTAINER Lightweight, durable, watertight and with lots of storage, you will need a container to keep all of your first aid supplies safe.
11. ALOCANE® Maximum Strength Emergency Burn Gel Burns happen. Be prepared. Make sure you have ALOCANE® Maximum Strength Emergency Burn Gel in your first aid kit to help prevent any minor burn from worsening. After you have assembled your first aid kit, make sure everyone in your home knows exactly where to find it so they can quickly respond to an injury. Consider making a backup kit that you can bring with you on family trips or keep in your car. It will provide peace of mind knowing that you are equipped to deal with several types of minor injuries should they occur.